Encrypted files offer a high level of security against prying eyes, especially when they are emailed. However, most email programs do not have an integrated mechanism for encrypting the attached files. To send an encrypted file, you will need to encrypt the file before attaching it to the email. Fortunately, the Windows operating system has a built-in feature that allows users to encrypt files. To enable encryption of a file, you must access the File Properties Configuration window.
The benefit of sending encrypted files via email is that nobody can access the files until and unless he/she enters the password to unlock the folder those files are stored in. Ideally, email services should have a provision to encrypt files, but that is not the case. If you are looking to send some important files to your colleague, but are not sure about the security of your email service provider, then you can follow below-mentioned process to know the process of encrypting files.
- Right-click on the “Start” button, then select “Open Windows Explorer” in the pop-up list. The Windows Explorer dialog opens. Navigate to the file you want to encrypt.
- Right-click on the file, then select “Properties” from the pop-up menu. The file properties dialog opens.
- Click the “General” tab, and then click “Advanced.” Click the checkbox next to “Encrypt content to secure data” under “Compress or Encrypt Attributes”, then click the “OK” button.
- Launch your email client or connect to your email account. Click the “Dial” button and enter the relevant information such as recipient, subject and message.
- Click on the “Attachment” or “Attach File” link or button. Navigate to the encrypted file in the “Download a File” dialog box, and then double-click the file. The file will be automatically attached to the email. Click the “Send” button to send the encrypted file.
That is how you can encrypt the files, which you can send to your friend or colleague via email. However, if you are unable to encrypt the files with the aforementioned steps, then you should get in touch with an email expert who will guide you regarding the process of encrypting files. If you are looking to send emails via SBCGlobal email, then you can easily find assistance regarding this matter.